|Address:||Strossmayerov trg 6, 31400, ĐAKOVO, OSJEČKO - BARANJSKA ŽUPANIJA, Croatia|
Monumental St Peter’s Cathedral in Đakovo remains a sort of “beacon of faith” on the skyline of the City of Đakovo and the whole of Slavonia. The most important cultural monument in Đakovo and the most beautiful cathedral between Venice and Istanbul, as Pope XXIII described it, is located at Strossmayer Square. Today’s cathedral, which replaced the first cathedral from the 14th century and the second Baroque cathedral from the 18th century, was commissioned by Bishop Josip Juraj Strossmayer “To the Glory of God, Unity of the Churches, Integrity of the Nation and out of Love for My People”. The cathedral was built in a successful blending of Romanesque and Gothic styles to the design made by Viennese architects Carl Roesner and Friedrich Schmidt. After sixteen years, which is how long it took for construction to be completed (1866-1882), the Cathedral was solemnly consecrated on 1 October 1882. This three-nave cathedral is 74 m long. The Cathedral is crowned by a dome of 59 m and two bell towers of 84 m. Frescoes by Alexander-Maximilian Seitz and his son Ludwig Seitz impart a special aura of harmony to the Cathedral’s interior. The Cathedral is adorned by 7 altars and numerous sculptures. The main altar is dedicated to the Cathedral’s Patron Saint, St. Peter. One of the most valuable items is the organ at the choir with a big rose window in the background. In 1965, Cathedral was granted the honorary title basilica minor (minor basilica) by Blessed Pope Paul VI. In 1927, it was visited by Msgr Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli, future Pope Saint John XXIII, and on 7 June 2003, by Saint Pope John Paul II. In 2008, it was elevated to the rank of “Metropolitan” or “Cathedral Church”. The original design of the Cathedral was preserved, even though it was subject to destruction many times.
working days at 7:00, 8:00 and 18:30 hrs / winter period 18:00 hrs
Sunday at 7:30, 9:00, 10:30 and 18:30 hrs / winter period 18:00 hrs
The cathedral is open every day - from 6:30 to 19:30 hrs