St. Peter’s Cathedral
The most important cultural monument in Đakovo and the most beautiful cathedral between Venice and Istanbul, as Pope XIII described it, is located at Strossmayer Square. The construction of the Cathedral, which took place between 1866 and 1882, was the achievement of Bishop Josip Juraj Strossmayer. The Cathedral is an architectural masterpiece built in Romanesque and Gothic style. It is adorned by numerous paintings, sculptures, frescos and 7 altars. The main altar is dedicated to the Cathedral’s Patron Saint, St. Peter. One of the most valuable items is the organ at the choir with a big rose window in the background. The original design of the Cathedral was preserved, even though it was subject to destruction many times.
The Bishop’s Palace is a castle built in the 18th century in late Baroque style, today it is the residence of the Archbishop of the Đakovo-Osijek Archdiocese and the location of main Bishopric institutions and offices. It is a one-storey building consisting of two wings located south of the St. Peter’s Cathedral and forms with it the west side of the main square in Đakovo. The interior is adorned by reception rooms decorated with portraits of bishops and other valuable artwork.
Manor houses dating from the 18th century are located at Strossmayer Square and were built in Late Baroque style. The incentive for their construction was the Charter of Maria Theresa issued on the occasion of the unification of the Bosnia and Syrmia Dioceses.
In 1806, Bishop Antun Mandić established the oldest institution of higher education in Slavonia and Baranja in this Art Noveau building located at Strossmayer Square. The building is adorned by a chapel with a choir and wooden roof. Nowadays we can view the Theological Seminary twofold – as an institution that educated candidate priests and as a home to the people who live there: theologians and patriarchs.
The Church of All Saints
It is speculated to have been built in the 14th century when it is mentioned as the parish Church of St. Lawrence. During the time of the Ottoman reign it was converted into a mosque (the Ibrahim Pasha Mosque), which has been preserved and converted into the Catholic Church of All Saints. The beauty of this unique building lies in its interior built in the Byzantine-Moorish style. It is located at the Dr. Franjo Tuđman Square (Trg dr. Franje Tuđmana).
The Monastery of the Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross
When the Monastery was consecrated, Bishop Voršak wrote: “This new monastery is located at the corner of two streets and was built, as the experts say, in empire style. It is an impressive building with a high ground floor with a second floor, a skilfully and tastefully made front side and a high mansard roof”. In addition to the elegant towers of the Cathedral, Đakovo is adorned with the Monastery, which also houses the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. This complex of buildings is the most beautiful example of Art Nouveau in the eastern part of Croatia. These building have been adorning the Town for a century. .
The Monastery Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is located within the Monastery of the Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross. It was built in 1908 and consecrated on 14 September of the same year. The property for the construction of the Church was donated to the Sisterhood by Bishop Josip Juraj Strossmayer, who invited them to come to Đakovo from Switzerland. The Church is adorned with wooden altars decorated by gold plated angels, flowers and tendrils. The Church is proud of its bells which announce the festivities of the Monastery and the Church. Another notable feature of the Church is the organ installed in 1942 which has 3 manuals, 28 registries and many pedals.
The Church of the Good Shepherd
The construction of the Church of the Good Shepherd began in 1990 when the cornerstone was set and lasted through April 1995. The cornerstone was chiselled in the form of a lily and taken from the Cathedral’s tower rubble after the earthquake of 1964. That accents the connection between the Cathedral as the mother of all the churches in the Diocese and the Church of the Good Shepherd. The members of the Diocese helped with the construction of the Church. .
Filial Church of John the Baptist in Pisak
The Church was built in 1976 during the time of Bishop Ćiril Kos. It was consecrated in 1986.
The cemetery church of Resurrection of Jesus
The construction of the Church began and was completed in 1900. The Church was built in Gothic style. It was designed by the famous Sarajevo-born architect Josip pl. Vrancaš. The Church was named after the altar painting which depicted the scene of Christ’s Resurrection. Today it is replaced by a painting of Holy Mary, bearing the theme of the Resurrection as well.